Friday, February 20, 2009

First Weird Comment

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. But after being an adoptive parent for over 5 years and never having anything like this happen, I thought I was immune. But a few days ago it happened.

I was with the girls at a store. We were at the checkout counter. The lady there looked at me, then looked at the girls and asked rather bluntly, "Are they adopted or are they your daughters?" It took me a moment to register her comment. I gave her a confused look and said, "ummmm...both." The lady seemed a little embarrassed after that and we went on our merry way. Still it did catch me off guard. You never know when this sort of weirdness will suddenly spring itself upon you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

People are idiots - that's like when my sister and I were babies, and people would say "oh, two twins!" to my mom. Duhhh. :-)

Kate said...

Oh dear, good thing we can have a sense of humor. Bless you!!
Aunt Catharine

Paulette said...

Don't you just love peoples ignerance. My favorite one is when Annalise is being her independent self and people think she is lost because they can't see her parent. Hello I am right here she belongs to me!

Natalie said...

Hi Torrie.
I got a thumbs up one day! So, some people show a lot of class too.
Your little one is just as cute as a button! Glad you gave me your blog.

Natalie