Friday, April 24, 2009

Material Girl


When it comes to school theme days I'm a humbug. Who has time for such things? But I confess when Riley's school announced 80's day I was super excited. I actually put some thought into it and dare I say... went all out! My first thought was for Riley to dress like her mommy used to back in those days. That would require ripped jeans and a Metallica T-shirt. (Yes, I was one of those) But I had parted with those t-shirts years ago. So I opted for the Madonna look instead, which she already had stuff in her dress-up box.

While I was helping her get ready she kept saying, "I look so old-fashioned!" Great. I explained to her that it was only 20 years ago, not THAT long. She said, "Yeah, but you didn't even have cell phones then. It's soooo old fashioned." Who was I trying to convince, her or me?

3 comments:

Ashley and Mike said...

You can totally tell she is not sure of this whole outfit because she is slinking into the corner. I think she looks so great and now, after reading her questions, I feel OLD OLD OLD OLD. Gosh, she probably thinks being born in the 70s makes me a fossil :)

Megan said...

So funny. Who would have thought that the 80s was old fashioned, especially since all of those fashions have come back in style and I still think that they are ugly. Henry asked me what year I was born in and when I told him 1974, he couldn't believe it. Actually being born in a different century, millenium than him. It does sound old.

Hilarie said...

Oh man, break out the Geritol. Good grief! Being born in the 70s doesn't make us THAT old. I guess kids now can't appreciate how much simpler things were before cell phones and the Internet, and they certainly can't appreciate our COOL music and metal t-shirts! :-)