Friday, July 18, 2008

Then There Were Four

Sorry for the delayed post. I must confess I feel annoyed when people don't update their site soon after receiving their child, and here I am doing the very same thing! The last two days have been so emotionally draining. I spent my last ounce of energy taking a shower last night before falling into bed.

Anyway, we have her! She came to me easily and seemed pretty fascinated with us and everything going on around her. She didn't cry and was in love with the Cheerios we fed her. I was actually thinking, "Wow, this is easy." Of course this phase only lasted about 20 minutes. Something happend to upset her, I don't even know what it was, but she proceeded to full out tantrum. Laying on the floor with her little limbs thrashing everywhere. She would not let us comfort her. So we just sat beside her and tried to calm her with our voices. She eventually calmed a little bit, but had an even worse meltdown on the busride back to the hotel. Her little back was arching and I couldn't even hold her down.

She eventually calmed down and seemed happy to let me hold her. She got agitated when we tried to take her shoes or clothes off, so she ended up falling asleep in her original clothes, shoes and all!

We are near the end of the second day. She will have nothing to do with Corin. We know all these behaviors are quite normal for adopted children, so we were prepared. Still, nothing prepares you for the mental fatigue.

Riley is doing very well. Yesterday she said, "I will need to stay up all night in case there is an emergency with Sunder." Then this morning she said, "I like having a sister." She has had her share of meltdowns since she's not getting near as much mommy time as she's used to but she has been a trooper.

Having my parents here has been a godsend. They have been so helpful running errands, bringing in food, taking care of Riley. I am sooo glad they are here with us.

We appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. We are doing well. The first 4 days are always the hardest. If I had not been through this before I won't believe that this phase will ever end. But I know that it will.

We all slept great last night and I can't wait to do it again tonight :) OK, here's what you really want, the pictures!

On our way to meet our new little one.

After 2.5 years we meet at last.

"I miss my foster family."

With one of the caretakers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, She is BEAUTIFUL!!! We are praying for all of you during this time. Thank you for the update we have been wondering how you all are doing. Say Hi to everyone for us.

hil77running said...

Hello - What a precious baby, so lucky to be with all of you at last. I know you will all grow strong together and she will be blessed with her new family! Hugs to all! (And a special hug to Riley for being such a great big sister already. :-))

tiffany said...

Oh she is just beautiful! I remember what you are describing SO well! Bella was by far our most difficult transition but once she was over it, she was over it. She really got it all out there as opposed to Sophie whose greiving lasted much longer as she was more shut down and it came in phases. I also remember how much I missed Sophie when we first met Bella even though Sophie was sitting RIGHT THERE! But Bella was so demanding that I was consumed with her at first. It was very difficult but again, all worked itself out so quickly. In our case, I explained to Sophie (who was not quite 3) that Bella was nervous just like she had been nervous at first and that we were going to let Bella be a little naughty (LOL) at first and then we would teach her to be a girl with nice manners just like Sophie is. :) It helped I think to sort of have Sophie on my "team" instead of upset about Bella hogging her mommy.

I hope you all enjoy getting to know each other during this crazy special time. :) Congratulations on your beautiful new daughter!

Anonymous said...

Yea! Sunder is beautiful and obviously full of life!:) Special hugs to Riley. We look forward to the next update. You are in our prayers.